According to our partners at the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, the cuts represent a 35 percent cut from this year’s funding level:
- Housing Counseling Assistance to $35 million, a 22% cut from FY 2013
- HOME Investment Partnership Program to $700 million, a 30% cut
- Community Development Block Grants to $1.6 billion, a 50% cut
- Public Housing Capital Fund to $1.5 billion, a 20% cut
- Housing for Persons with Disabilities to $126 million, a 23% cut
- Section 4 Capacity Building to $20 million, a 43% cut
- Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction to $50 million, a 58% cut
Millions of low-income families, persons with disabilities, and communities of color will be affected by these cuts.
The Senate THUD subcommittee, which includes Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) and Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL), is expected to consider its funding bill tomorrow. Cutting HUD’s budget by more than a third is unthinkable at a time when so many people are recovering from the foreclosure crisis.
We must let our senators know that these cuts are unacceptable. Call Senator Kirk’s and Senator Durbin’s offices today and tell them to vote in favor of fully funding HUD programs. Please follow up with me at email@example.com or 312-368-0310 and let us know how they responded to your call.
Sen. Mark Kirk
Sen. Dick Durbin